US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE FOREST SERVICE
TERM SPECIAL USE PERMIT
AUTHORITY: Arizona-Idaho Conservation Act, P.L. 100-696 (AICA), and the Term Permit Act of March 4,1915,16 U.S.C. 497.
Arizona Board of Regents, on behalf of the University of Arizona, Attn: Senior Vice President for Research, University of Arizona, Building 66, Room 601, Post Office Box 210066, Tucson, AZ 85721.
Arizona Board of Regents, on behalf of the University of Arizona (the holder) is authorized to use and occupy National Forest System lands on the Coronado National Forest, subject to the terms and conditions of this term special use permit (the permit).
This permit covers 8.6 acres in Sections 27, 28 &29, Township 8 South, Range 24 East, Gila and Salt River Meridian (the permit area), as shown on the maps attached as Appendices A, B1, B2, & B3. This permit is issued for the purpose of Scientific and Astrophysical Research.
Permitted facilities include the Large Binocular Telescope, the Submillimeter Telescope, and the Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope, (see Appendix B1) and necessary support facilities (see Appendix B2), which collectively include but are not limited to:
- Three telescope facilities
- Monopole with microwave dish and concrete base
- Propane building (containing 3 propane tanks totaling 6,500 gallons)
- Pump house (containing potable water pumps and a fire hydrant)
- Utility building (containing two generators, a switchgear, 150 kva transformer, sump, day tank water system pressure drum, a fire pump, two chillers, an LBT boiler, and a water distribution system)
- A 1,500 kva transformer, a 300 kva transformer, a PMH-9 transfer switch and a fused disconnect switch
- 10,000 Gal. double-walled diesel storage tank with spill containment system
- 50,000 gal. water tank
- Electric power switching stations
- First aid station/police building
- 3 Fire hydrants with sheds
- Underground utility lines and vaults
- Sprinkler system
- Septic holding tanks
- Drainage grates
- 2 mile access road to the site
- The 25 kV electrical transmission system to the permit area located within the Power Corridor designated under the Arizona Wilderness Act (P.L. 98-406)
The Management Plan (Appendix C), dated the date hereof, Special Conditions and Clauses (Appendix D), the Arizona Idaho Conservation Act (AICA) and Reasonable and Prudent Alternative Number 3 (RPA3) (Appendix E), the Emergency Response Contingency Plan (Appendix F), and the Environmental Site Report (Appendix G) are attached to and hereby made a part of this permit. The terms of the AICA (including RPA 3 of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Biological Opinion, dated July 14, 1983 are hereby incorporated into this permit by reference. In the case of any conflict between the Management Plan, this permit and its appendices, and the AICA, the AICA shall control.
Within the Management Plan, its Appendix D describes the MGIO management structure for decision-making fo~MGIO policy, funding, and operations; however, the permit holder remains responsible for compliance with all terms and condition of this permit and the. Management Plan.